Bell Mell Tavern was established in 1935 at its present location of 307 Fulton Street, Port Clinton, Ohio, by original owners Bella & Mel Russell (no relation to present owners Jimmy and Nancy Russell). Jimmy purchased the tavern in 1979, inheriting the original dough and sauce recipe that is still used today in Port Clinton’s best homemade pizza.
Bell Mell Tavern originally was a passenger train station for Norfolk & Western Railroad. Customers traveling to and from Pittsburg, Cleveland, Toledo, and Chicago would stop at the bar to purchase their train ticket and have a beverage before boarding the train. The building, constructed in 1905, has been home to the Bar, along with a “Sip and Dip” Ice Cream Parlor, Shoe Repair shop, and a Barber Shop.
Bell Mell’s was able to expand their business gradually as the Ice Cream Parlor and the Shoe Repair shop closed. In 2000, the ultimate expansion took place when the owner had no choice but to “boot the barber” as it read on the front page of the local paper. The barber shop became the new home for Bell Mell’s kitchen. We are now offering a full menu in addition to our famous homemade pizza.
When Ohio enacted the “no smoking law” in 2007, an inside remodeling and beautiful outdoor deck and lawn area was completed to satisfy all of our patrons. Smoking is permitted on the outdoor deck and patio only.
We remain Port Clinton’s favorite “neighborhood bar” for locals and visitors enjoying good food and good friends in a sports bar atmosphere. Our patrons enjoy watching the Buckeyes, Browns, Indians, Cavaliers and NASCAR on our big-screen HD TV’S. We feature entertainment inside year round and weather permitting on the deck.